Options for Earning a Clear Teaching Credential
Individuals holding a Preliminary General Education (Multiple or Single Subject) or Preliminary Education Specialist teaching credential are required by Education Code §44259(c) (2) to complete a Commission-approved Induction program to earn the professional clear teaching credential. It is the responsibility of the new teacher to earn a clear teaching credential within a five-year period from the issuance of the preliminary teaching credential. The method intended by statute for new teachers to earn a clear teaching credential is completion of a Commission-approved Induction program.
An Induction program is designed to support and guide the new teacher in his or her teaching assignment by incorporating local school and district goals under the guidance and assistance of a Mentor who has deep knowledge of the local school, district and community as well as of new teacher development. Each individual holding a Preliminary teaching credential should be supported and mentored during the first two years of teaching. All Commission-approved General Education & Education Specialist Induction programs are listed on the Commission’s Approved Programs web page. A drop down list allows for filtering so only those institutions sponsoring Induction programs are listed (http://cig.ctc.ca.gov/cig/CTC_apm/GE_i.php). Currently there are over 155 Commission-approved Induction programs.
The following options are available to Preliminary General Education (Multiple or Single Subject) or Educational Specialist Credential Holders:
- Enroll in and complete an Induction program sponsored by, or in partnership with the employing district or county office of education.
- If the individual’s employer is not sponsoring or partnering with a Commission-approved Induction program, the following alternatives are available for earning the general education clear credential.
- Enroll in and complete an Induction program that is offered by a college or university.
- Enroll in and complete an Induction program sponsored by a neighboring district or a county office of education if the program accepts participants who are not employed by a partner district.
- Complete a General Education Clear Credential program http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/files/options-genl-ed-clear.pdf